If we were to say in a couple of minutes you could increase your chances of achieving your goals by doing this simple task would you do it right now??
Keep reading for some sure fire ways to get you moving towards your weight loss or sports specific goals!!!
By actually physically writing a few sentences down on paper can mean the difference between success and failure.
In actual fact:
“plenty of studies show that people who take even a few seconds to put their goals on paper are 5 to 10 times as likely to achieve them” (Precision Nutrition)
Here we’ve listed some specific tips to help you achieve your goals starting from right now.
Initially setting goals can be a bit daunting, but we all have to start somewhere RIGHT? So, to make it a bit easier for you we’ve laid out some pointers below to help.
Did you know that goal setting can act as a tool to get motivated in all areas of your life not just the gym!! AND… as a result of taking action using the tools below you could be well on your way to achieving success!
Are you ready to get started??
Create a specific outcome based goal initially and frame it positively.
“I’m going to hit 120Kg Squat by October, I’m going to lose 7lbs in 7 weeks.“
- (avoid phrases like I might like to, I would like to… Here you are already allowing yourself to potentially give in)
BE SUPER POSITIVE:
“I am, I will, I’m going to!” – these will demonstrate your readiness and commitment to yourself)
- Make it measurable (start noting down weights you are using for strength and then see if they increase over time, for weight loss – weigh yourself or note down some body measurements with a measuring tape so you can monitor over time)
- Make them challenging but realistic for example – increasing steps goals with an activity tracker until you are reaching 10,000 steps 7 days a week
- Have short term goals with long term components, it can give you a roadmap of where you are heading and help you to develop an action plan of how you are going to get there. Even better you can mark off your successes on route.
- All of this makes sense right?!
- Hatch a plan and set yourself some Behaviour based goals to keep you on the path towards actually reaching your goals – for example: aiming to do 5 hours of exercise this week, eat several portions of protein every day, take a packed lunch to work each day.
- Check your own progress – using your measurements, check back to past statistics and see have you moved forward towards achieving your goals, if not reassess – why not? If you’re struggling with reasons for why you’re not losing weight – you can always check out this page on our blog.
- Make yourself accountable – share your goals with a friend, coach or someone who will support you, it’s exciting to share your plans with someone who supports you and helps you to perservere when the going gets tough. In fact studies have shown that –
“You are twice as likely to achieve them than if you keep the goals to yourself”(Chopra Centre, 2019)
If you want some more information on getting SMARTer with your goals you can take a look at Owen Hubbards blog here
If you need some guidance with your goals, help is really not very far away!
If you’re not sure if your goal is realistic or not or, if you’re looking for someone to help you on the road to achieving some long or short term weight loss or fitness related goals – call us on 01202 619 112, text in on 07837 039 411 or email us at admin@180-Strength.com.